Below are my notes on managing and customizing my iPod Classic.
- Installing themes
- Broken wheel
- Replacing hardware
My iPod is currently running Rockbox with the adwaitapod dark Simplified Theme.
- Download zip of theme
- Extract zip
.rockboxdirectory to root of iPod
- Enable theme through RockBox settings
Until I replace it (see below) my click wheel is broken. The play/pause button doesn't work most of the time. It is used for two things: Playing/pausing the music, and shutting down the iPod by holding it down. I've found workarounds for these:
- I enabled the Settings > Playback Settings > Pause on Headphone Unplug setting, configuring it to Pause and Resume, which means that when I unplug my headphones, it pauses, and when I plug them back in it plays. A little strange sometimes, but it works.
- I enabled the General Settings > Display > Startup/Shutdown > Idle Poweroff setting and configured it to 1min. This means that if nothing is playing and I'm not pushing any buttons, it will auto shut down, so in order to shut it down when I'm done I simply pause it and set it down for a minute.
I have not done this yet, but at some point I'd like to replace the hard drive with a dual micro SD card adapter, the click wheel, and the battery. The click wheel's play/pause button is broken, the hard drive is slow, and the batter is clearly deteriorating.
Here are the parts I will need to buy:
- Tarkan iFlash Dual SD Card Adapter
- Click Wheel
- Replacement Battery
- SanDisk Extreme 128GB micro SD 2 pack
Here are the tools I will need to buy:
I will then follow these instructions and ideally replace everything at once.
Post 011/100 of #100DaysToOffload
👋 Hey! Thanks for reading! If you have any comments or questions about this post, or anything else, I'd love to chat! You can find the best way to contact me on my hello page or send me an email.